Playlists are very important for growing on YouTube and getting your content discovered. The reason is simple: YouTube’s search engine uses algorithms to determine the quality of a video, and the order in which it will show those videos in the search results. Playlists allow you to group together related videos and make it easier for users to find what they’re looking for based on the topic.
The benefits of creating a playlist
It helps people discover new content regardless of where you are. For example, if you’re browsing YouTube and come across a great new hip hop song, you should not only keep watching but also lend it a listen. Here are 3 reasons why creating playlists should be high on your list of priorities.
1- Increases watch-time
2- Increases your chances of appearing in YouTube & Google search results
3- Increases your chances of featuring your content in Suggested Videos
If you’re a video creator, then creating playlists is one of the easiest and most effective ways to boost your view counts—and ultimately, your revenue. Playlists make it easy for people to filter through your videos based on certain keywords or topic areas. They let you organize videos by topic and duration, making them great for content creation.
You want your videos to engage your audience in ways that help them learn about your brand or business. If viewers find something interesting in one of your videos, they’re more likely to keep watching.
Playlist best practices
- Make sure to have a catchy, strong thumbnail
- Use a good title and description
- Organize your videos around a theme or an event, or a trending search query (Check out relevant trends to increase discoverability)
- Use cards and end-screens to direct your audience to your playlist/s
- Feature your playlists on your channel homepage, make the best of ‘Sections’
- Share your new playlist via the Community Posts tab
If you’d like to know more on how to optimize at scale, make sure to check out our Playlist initiative here.